Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Picasa 3 Software review.

I've never been easily impressed by graphic databases but there have been a few that caught my eye. In my early windows years around 1998 I was an avid user of acdsee program. It allwed me to catalog all my images etc but it costs a fee and I don't like giving my money away to people and I do not believe in pirating software in a world where so much can be obtained for free.

Google however has many useful tools and toys to please the average geek. And being Google they are a trustworthy monopoly to say the least. Does that qualify for an oxymoron? "Trustworthy, Monopoly" :) Anyhow, while adding photos to my blog I realized that it's actually uploads and stores the photos to my picasa account which incidentally I did not know I even had. It is one of the perks of having a gmail account at Google. Even all the photos in my personal blog's slide show come from my picasa account. So As I started to realize how useful this photo storage place at google is, I found that instead of using their web based uploader you can actually download software to incorporate uploading directly from your photo catalog. Fantastic features... It even has the ability to throttle bandwidth usage so if you have 10 thousand photos to upload and it may take a few days you can limit how much of your internet speed it uses.

Picasa 3 brags the following features;
  • The ability to make web albums, even videos can be viewed over the web.
  • Easy search and Explore features. Photos that you forgot you even had on your hard drive are cataloged.
  • Creative printing, create slideshows, add text to your pictures etc.
  • Easy, or should I say STUPID easy to share photos with other people on the web.
  • One click fixes for common problems like red eye and lighting, the software is intelligent enough to assist without any graphic skill.
  • Using name tags, like people are grouped together so that all the photos of a particular person for example will be in one place.
  • And of course they have the usual ability to purchase professional prints and download the photos again so you can print them somewhere else.
  • The best thing about this software though, is that it's absolutely FREE!
All in all, if you have a lot of photos and want to keep them backed up somewhere, why not use this software to keep a copy on your local hard drive, and a copy on google's servers?

No comments:

Post a Comment